Hey all! Happy belated Canada Day!
It's hard to believe that the summer is already halfway finished. I apologize for not updating the blog as regularly but I have lots to share today.
Work at the clinic has been going well - I've had a few more "near-trials" where I've prepared all of my arguments, factums, and reasoning, only to have the trial be called off at the last minute because Crown witnesses don't show up - but I can't complain, because that means that my client goes free and I still benefit from the learning that goes into preparing the materials and learning the law. Things are finally starting to slow down a bit too - and I can actually spend some of my evenings and weekends seeing friends, resting, and taking in World Cup matches. I had been cheering for the USA (I know, I'll get flack for this but I follow the MLS soccer league that Toronto plays in and most of the players are American, so I'm most familiar with them) but with them out, I'm pulling for the Netherlands, who've always played well but have always just missed breaking through to the finals.
I'm already looking towards next year - we began the first phase of our course selections last week and I've entered my picks into the computer system, where I await the outcome of the annual "lottery." In undergrad/grad school, course selection was always a first come, first serve system where everyone rushed to their computers at the exact minute the server opened, and tried to get spots in the most popular classes, and often bringing down the poor registration servers in the process. Being a law school, U of T has attempted to institute a slightly more just process. Course selection occurs in 2 rounds - you start by entering the courses you want to take, and depending on what year you are in (2L or 3L) you also get 2-3 courses that you can "letter" with an A, B, or C, to indicate that you really want a certain class. People who designate courses with a letter get priority over those who just register normally. After the letters have been dealt with, the rest of the spaces in a class are meted out by lottery. In a couple weeks, I'll get the results and then the system opens up once again for people to shuffle things around in courses that still have open spaces. Fortunately, despite this arcane procedure, 90% of courses do not have wait-lists so I'm hoping that all my picks go through on the first try. So here's what my year (may) look like! It's customary to take 4 courses each term (as opposed to 6 in 1L, which at least theoretically means my academic life will be a little less hectic next year)
Fall term:
Clinic Credit course (counts for 2 classes): This is my only "required" pick for next year, because as an executive and summer caseworker for the clinic, I'm required to take the credit course as well. The course takes two slots because I will maintain a fairly heavy caseload at the clinic (essentially working part-time for credit instead of $) and I'll also have a seminar where I'll receive further training in criminal law, which is the area I'm working in.
Business Organizations: While not strictly speaking required, almost everyone who goes through law school takes this course at one point or another. It's a fundamental course in business law and goes through the main precepts of law in this area, particularly around how corporations are structured and the roles & responsibilities of officers of these organizations (and of course, what happens when things go horribly wrong!)
Natural Resources & Energy Law: With my regulatory background I couldn't resist taking this one. It's a course that goes through the statutes and frameworks that govern both energy utilities as well as energy projects such as mines, wind farms, oil sands, etc. The course will also focus on consultation requirements, environmental regulations, and other related issues. With the oil spill in the Gulf, I'm expecting this will be a very topical as well as informative course.
Winter term:
Competitive Moot: This one is definitely a bit up in the air because I have to audition for it in the fall - but assuming I get in, what I'll be doing for this "course" is working with another student on a detailed factum and oral arguments for a inter-school competition in an area of law (usually criminal or constitutional). The moot itself is a mock-trial of sorts, except that it's always set in an appeal court, so your arguments are more about the law itself as opposed to establishing the facts of the case, which are set out in advance. These competitions are exceptional learning experiences (and you get course credit because they're so much work!) so I'm certainly hoping I'll get a chance to participate!
Evidence Law: Another course that is considered practically mandatory, although strictly speaking it's optional. It's all about what materials can be admitted into court at a trial and under what circumstances. All that flashy Law & Order stuff where the sharp defence attorney incredibly manages to exclude a confession, a forensic sample, or hearsay evidence is what this course is all about - and as it's being taught by my favourite professor from 1L, Hamish Stewart (who taught me crim last year) I'm really looking forward to it!
Family Law; I wasn't originally going to take this class, but my time at the clinic has convinced me that I should. It's such an important area of law and one that is crucial for any lawyer who wants to do some pro bono or public interest work to understand. I've seen so many clients at our clinic have family law issues in addition to criminal ones (thankfully we also have a family division to help them!) and I'm very interested in learning more about it. There's also a bit of a personal motivation for me here - family law was where I had my first interactions with the justice system (many of you know my parents had a very long divorce/custody battle that lasted over 8 years) and I hope to find some answers to some of my remaining questions about that experience in this course.
Aboriginal Law: Last but certainly not least. I think my colleagues at TBS who first assigned me this portfolio had some foresight, because I've already encountered this area of law in my constitutional and property classes in first year, and it's a subject that I've managed to distinguish myself in academically. I also believe that it's crucial for our country's future that members of my generation work together to achieve a genuine and lasting reconciliation between the aboriginal and non-aboriginal peoples of Canada, and learning about this area of law will prepare me to make my own small contribution to this challenge in my career. I'm really looking forward to it.
Well, that's a wrap for now - I'll be back in a couple weeks with some more substantive content. There is so much interesting legal news happening these days I'm going to have a hard time deciding what to write about (from controversial G20 legislation to a new US Supreme Court nominee and everything in between!) Until then, take good care and stay in touch!
Friday, July 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment