2. Did def breach standard of care?
General standard is Balance of Probabilities – must prove both that def breached standard of care and was negligent to this level of proof
1. What if not enough evidence to establish guilty def on a balance of probabilities?
a. Idea of “res ipsa loquitor” helps pl establish a prima facie case of negligence even in absence of direct evidence (Fontaine case removes the Latin term)
i. Allows jury to be “permitted to infer” def was negligent if they choose to do so (tactical burden on def to introduce an explanation) Byrne v. Boadle (Barrel of flour falls out; no way of pl to get evidence from def; but generally act would be negligent)
1. Limited to where accident would not normally occur without negligence
2. Limited to where def has control over “instrumentality of harm” (Escola)
a. Even if def not directly handling item, if pl proves that item didn’t change by “reasonable inference” they can still be held liable
b. If defect originates before def gets a hand on it, not liable unless def could have reasonably detected/remediated it
3. Limited to cases of a blameless Plaintiff
Other than finals, I've had a lot on the go on other fronts as well - went to Barrie two weeks ago and visited my friend Bill and his wife Becca - they treated me to a lovely escape from all of the above, as well as some great food and even better company. I've also been starting to plan for the holidays - will be flying back to Nova Scotia on the 16th, the day after my last final, and spending a couple weeks there before making a brief visit to Ottawa on the 29th-31st-ish (still haven't finalized my departure date from there, will likely head back to TO on the 31st or New Years Day). I'm looking forward to seeing family, friends, and colleagues, and generally just celebrating the end of my first term of this adventure.
Well, I should get back to mapping. At present, I have 3/6 maps drafted, but the goal is to have most of them finalized before the weekend so that I can spend most of Saturday/Sunday just reviewing them and feeling as comfortable as possible going into the exams themselves. I'll leave you with a little photo I just took of the leaf-covered window I'm looking out of right now - it's amazing that for the first time in 162 years, Toronto managed a snow-free November, though I suspect we will be seeing frozen precipitation of some kind over the course of the next few weeks. Thanks for reading and remember, it's always darkest just before the dawn!

No comments:
Post a Comment