Welcome friends and colleagues,
By the time you read this, I'll be embarking on the next phase of my life - moving to a new city, transitioning from "briefcase to backpack," and getting ready to learn more than I can possibly fathom about the theory and practice of law in Canada.
To mark this occasion, and to help keep in touch, I've decided to start a blog with the goal of providing an update on my experiences at law school, as well as the principles and cases I'll be tackling, at least once every two weeks. I've decided to call it Laws and Promises. Laws, for the content that will comprise the primary focus of the blog; though knowing me, I will likely meander off into other aspects of my life in Toronto as well as public policy and current events. Promises, because I know that I've not always been the best at keeping in touch from a distance in the past, and I want this small promise to be one that I keep. I've had 2-3 other blogs in the past that haven't really gotten off the ground, and I'll be counting on all of you to help keep me on track this time - though between my love of learning, writing, and the simple need to procrastinate, I'm optimistic that in government-speak, I'll "deliver on my commitments."
I'll wrap up this inaugural post with an important but slightly off-topic thought: To those of you in Ottawa who I've studied and worked with over the past three years, thank you. I truly believe that while it's relatively easy to see the change that's happening around us (especially in times like these!), it's sometimes more difficult to notice the change that's constantly happening within ourselves. Over the past few weeks as I've been packing up my apartment and closing up projects at work, I've recalled the person that I was who arrived in a new city three years ago fresh out of undergrad, and have come to realize just how much my experience here has helped me grow in so many ways - and I owe that to all of you. So thanks for the past three years, and stay in touch - because I hope that the time we've spent together is just the beginning of even better things to come.
Monday, August 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I am first to leave a message! I'll be following this blog religiously for sure! Vince
ReplyDeleteCool idea for a blog Jay! Eerily quiet indeed. Beware the wolves! All my friends who have attended law school have spoken of rapturous competition and a general desire to see others fall by the wayside.
ReplyDeleteThanks Ajay! While I have noticed a little bit of that "wolf-like" behaviour by some, fortunately it's been pretty minimal, and because I don't share the same ambition (at least now!) as about ~85% of my peers to spend a good chunk of their career on Bay St, I think I will be immune to a lot of that kind of stuff.
ReplyDelete